You are absolutely correct about the K-frame interference. When I measured it out the K-frame is about 3" wider than the inner flange on the lift. I originally wanted to install the motor/K-frame with the rest of the front suspension in place which would have been easy with the 2 post design. I even considered moving the car forward on the lift to let the front section overhang enough to install everything. That idea did not last long as I had visions of the car tipping over off the lift... I looked at the design of the lift and thought "what a bummer" I just needed a few more inches to make it work. The lift has a 2" lower flange on the inboard side of each track that is used for holding the plastic drip trays. It came with a heavy tray to be used with a jack for lifting the car and I noticed that it did not sit on those inner flanges but rather it sat on the top of the track where the strength is at. The basic upside-down "U" shape of the track is the main structural designed support, and that is where all the strain would be and not on the inboard flanges. I decided that all I needed was a couple of reliefs notched into the flange and the K-frame would fit. It worked quite nicely and all I did was make a few slices and bent the 4" notches down with a pipe wrench. If you notice I had made a support for the Road Runner using the front bumper bracket mounts and some scrap steel which placed the weight at the very end of the track by the cross support of the lift. I tried to make the tracks flex by the area I cut since I still was concerned about the integrity but the tracks were still rock solid. When it came time to install the motor-trans/K-frame everything worked out great. I had about 1/4"-1/2" clearance on each side and the whole installation evolution lasted less than a half-hour from placing the rig under the car to the torque on the last bolt. Once that was done I just got the pipe wrench out again and a few C clamps and welded it back up again. I would not leave the notches permanent since I will need to drive the car across it, but for the short time I needed the extra room I saw no real harm. I'm sure the lift OEM would never endorse "any" mods to their products, but I'm only reporting what worked for me in my situation...

Jim
68 hemi Road Runner

4894654-dcp02676.JPG (233 downloads)