Hi all,

I recently bought a '71 Satellite that seems to have a few electrical issues. In the first pic, you can see an inline fuse on the green wire. I don't know if this is stock or not(?). The PO told me he always disconnected it when parking, to avoid any problems. I soon found out why. When it's connected, it will drain the battery in about 4 days.

So, I began disconnecting it while the car was parked, and figured I could live with that, at least for awhile. However, I recently realized that this wire and fuse are getting very hot to the touch when I drive the car, even after only a few minutes running. This concerns me as I certainly don't want to burn up my wiring loom (which happened to me in a '69 Dodge van many years ago). The other end of this wire goes into the junction block at the firewall. In the pic below, it is the top-most black wire which curves around to the left, is heavily wrapped with black electrical tape, and goes into the block as a red wire:

I am very weak where automotive electrics are concerned. Does anyone have any ideas what might be going on here? Because of the current drain, I'm assuming I have a short somewhere. But, as I said, that is a slow drain. As hot as the fuse is getting while running, it seems this could be a different issue? Any advice or opinions would be appreciated, thanks.

Roger