so ive ben fighting carb issues in my duster for a while. its bad enough to where ive all but stopped driving it.

idle mixture is set properly with a vacuum gauge, with the ac compressor on, fully warmed up.

electric fuel pump, regulated to 5.5 psi.

floats set to 1/2 from the carb gasket to the top of the float with the cover inverted.

stock jets, rods, and springs.

3/8 thick insulating carb gasket.

air gap intake

so my issues are a few fold.
1. will not restart hot. seems to be vapor locking.
2. doesn't pull nearly as hard as with the 850 double pumper I had.
3. erratic idle with ac compressor on.
4. diesels on cutoff.

while adjusting float level tonight in a vain attempt to solve the hot start issue, I forgot to put the metering rods and springs back in. no covers either. the car ran significantly better when I got on it. almost like the old double pumper. I was excited. when I put the rods back in, it was back to its same old tricks. I don't know if it was all in my head, but with no rods or covers the hot start issue seemed all but gone, but I didn't really validate that well. also didn't seem to even think about dieseling.

so what am I missing? im thinking that the rod and jet combo is way too lean, causing most my troubles, and the springs too stiff. does this sound right?

please, help me out here. I just want to finish out until my leg surgery driving this car.

Michael

Michael Crawford CSP 1970 plymouth Duster back under construction: http://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.ph...ouring-makeover 1964 el camino beater shop truck 96403-project-drivabeater-2-0-64-el-camino-this-time