Quote:

Hi, I am ready to re-cover my 74 E body front bucket seats. I purchased Legendary covers and will be re-using the foam and metal frame and springs. What are your suggestions for fastening the new vinyl to the listing rods. I see Eastwood has straight pliers with clips for 28.00. I also see other sales on e bay for pliers that are bent at an angle etc...I doubt Ill be doing this job again so I don't need the best, But I don't mind spending a little more to make the job turn out better.

I have a place nearby called Miami Products. They sell upholstery products and that's where I got these two pliers and the blue cutter which is most handy. The cutter is really necessary for ease of removal of temporary rings I put in during the install and great for stripping the seats apart.

I'm thinking Eastwood would be a handy place to get them, they sell a set along with a bunch of hog rings.

I got mine 10+ years ago and recovered 4 set's seats I had laying around and sold them on E bay back in 2003-05. I made the buyers come pick them up in person to prove the seat was undamaged and a good job. One guy came all the way from New York to pickup a set, everyone was happy.
I bought the covers off E bay(not legendary) and made a ton of money on each set of seats. That's how I always paid for my tools is why I mention this. Now they paid for.

These are some of the seats I've kept until I need them. I parted 7 challengers during the early 80s.

Picture of a original seat spacer.

Most recently my wife made a new cover for a big truck seat and used them to install the new seat cover. She went to a vocational trade school her Jr and Sr year of hi school for upholstery and has had several jobs doing upholstery over the years, she does furniture also.

Never anything wrong with investing in good tools and not cheap ones because you think you will only do the job once, knowledge is power and you will want to do it again. My prediction.