I copied the boat guys who run blowers, and use a switch to kill the 12v circuit to the ignition while I begin to crank the engine. Once its spinning good after a second or so, I flip the 12v ignition switch and she lights every time. Most of the time, I only have to do this when its really hot out, but it's a lot cheaper than a timing start retard. I run 22 initial 36 total, all in by 2000 rpm. No vacuum advance. I only have 7 to 8 inches of vacuum at idle as it is. Plus no one makes and adjustable one that's decent.

Although, I did here that the Firecore vacuum advance distributors are being blueprinted and the range of initial timing adjustment available are being improved by the man at Four Seconds Flat. If I could get 21 initial and 36 total with an added vacuum advance that brings me up in the 45 to 50 total advance at cruise 2200 rpm, I'd be interested.

Eventually, I may just drop the nearly $400 on the newer PC programmable MSD unit and lock out my distributor, but that still leaves me with no vacuum advance for increased fuel efficiency in 5th gear.

1970 Plymouth 'Cuda #'s 440-6(block in storage)currently 493" 6 pack, Shaker, 5 speed Passon, 4.10's
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible 408 Magnum EFI with 4 speed automatic overdrive, 3800 stall lock-up converter and 4.30's (closest thing to an automatic 5 speed going)