Quote:

One of the remote control keys on my 2007 Jeep Commander has stopped working. I have a friend that has a brand new key blank that has never been programmed, but the dealer here wants $75 to program it to the lock. Is there a way to do it myself?

$75 is cheap. It would cost twice as much here to do the same thing.
There are two layers of security here. One for the chip in the key and another for the lock/unlock buttons. The highest security is for the chip. Since it is entirely passive, I doubt your chip is bad. I am thinking it will start and run the car just fine once you are inside. This is the part you need to allow a third key to be made without the computer.
The second part is where you have the failure. The fob portion is a lot less secure. Fobs can be cloned by locksmiths without computers. Even some parts houses can clone working fobs. Check and see if a locksmith can clone a fob for you to put on your dead key to get you inside and start the car with your broken key. You will look so 2003 with a separate fob but lot less light in the wallet.
Craig

2014 Ram 1500 Laramie, 73 Cuda
Previous mopars: 62 Valiant, 65 Fury III, 68 Fury III, 72 Satellite, 74 Satellite, 89 Acclaim, 98 Caravan, 2003 Durango
Only previous Non-Mopar: Schwinn Tornado