I'm going to pull a 440 engine out of 69 Chrysler without removing the transmission. Based on prior experience with removing and installing big block engines (of which I have none), what is the best way to do it: should I leave the torque converter attached to the engine, or should I disconnect the torque converter before I remove the engine? I guess the same goes for re-installation.

When I was young and stupid, I pulled a 318 out of a 73 Charger, and I think I disconnected the engine from the converter before I pulled it. If i remember right, that was one of the biggest pains of doing the job, having to bump the engine with the starter to get access to the bolts, and then work on them in that narrow area with a wrench. Also when I was slightly less young but maybe even stupider, I replaced a 727 transmission in a 73 340 'Cuda (a genuine 340 'Cuda, I should never have sold it), and I disconnected the torque converter to get the tranny out. That one caused me a lot of problems later when the bolts came loose and I had to find replacements for them, when there was no internet (boy did that suck).

I don't know that in either case I actually had to remove the torque converter; it might have been hard to get the tranny out without removing it (lying on my young stupid back under the car), but with the engine dangling from a hoist, I think it wouldn't be too hard to slide the engine forward a little before lifting it, especially since I've got the radiator out of the car.

Opinions?

69 Chrysler 300 Convertible 77 Chrysler New Yorker Brougham 2-dr 03 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited