Quote:

Looking to get my 54 Fargo on the road soon but as it is still pretty rainy here in BC I need wipers and needing to wire up the new universal switch I bought. Wondering if anyone might be able to give me a little help. looking to replace the wiper switch in my 54 fargo c-1, have a new universal switch (Cole Hersee 75212-04-BX) with 4 blades; l (low) h (high) p (park) and b (battery????) on the old switch the wiring diagram states I have B F A and Ignition, kind of stumped on how this is supposed to go together. its my first classic and dont want to screw anything up. thanks in advance.

Vinny,
If your 54 Fargo is anything like my 54 Dodge was, it was originally a 6 volt positive ground. I'm assuming you are using a 12 volt neg ground now. If that is the case, you need to understand the power enters through the switch and grounds through the wiper motor. I was able to get low, and high, but never accomplished park. When I shut it off the wipers would stop wherever the coasted to. I got pretty good at getting it to stop near the park position. If I connected the park to anything, the wipers just kept running. I even clamped the wiper motor bracket to the bench and used a battery charger to determine which wires did which thing. It was long ago and I can't remember which wires did what, but I connected the charger ground to the bracket, and used the pos from the charger to power each wire. it will be easy to determine which wire controls which function. Powering one wire makes the motor run real fast, the 2nd wire makes it run slow, and the other wire gives it one stroke. One of the terminals on your switch may be for a washer, or for a switch light.

Also, the wiper motor was 6 volts, it ran real fast on 12 volts and eventually went up in smoke, mine lasted about a year, the wiper wouldn't run with voltage reducers in place. I suggest you spring for a 12 volt electric wiper motor and wire it accordingly. I know that is not what you want to hear, but that was my experience. Gene