Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

E85 is ethanol and gas – I know methanol and gasoline do not mix well and can separate depending on the ratio – plus methanol is much more corrosive fuel and has less BTU value. So in short you actually may be creating a much weaker fuel - Seems to me I would avoid playing the mad scientist role!

Me thinks you have the BTU values backwards on Methanol and Ethanol, I beleive Methanol has 85,000 BTU and Ethanol has slightly less, around 83,000 to 84,000 That is the reason most NHRA alcholol cars race with Methanol Your correct on the corrosiveness of Methanol, I had to find out about that the hard way Ethanol has some of the same charasictics(SP?) but not as bad
OP, I beleive you can go to a paint or hardware store and buy Ethanol in a can, they use it for cleaning up on painting and varnishing jobs I'm in the same boat out here, our winter mix tests to be right at 75%

Sorry Cab but:

Gasoline 124,340 BTU/gal

E85 Approx 100,000 BTU/gal

Ethanol 84,530 BTU/gal

Methanol 65,200 BTU/gal

Hence the reason you need twice as much Methonal to get the same pop as Gasoline

I went on line, don't we love new technology and saw that the Gov. energy web page show similar numbers to your chart The last chemical BTU chart I saw was probally back in the 1980, when pump # 2 deisilfuel had 230,000 BTU, Gasoline had around 130,000 BTU and Metanol had 85,000 and Ethanol had 84,000 BTU, Propane, Butane and LNG all had less than 57,000 BTU per liquid gallon Now with the new cleaner fuels I saw that low sulpher #2 deisel now has around 124,000 BTU, gasoline varied from 111,836 to 116,090 BTU, the same chart did show Ethanol to between 76,000 and 76,330 BTU and the current Methanol to have 57,250 BTU My apologies to you for not having the current numbers, sorry It is to bad that the BTU in fuel have been downgraded for what ever reason Eenergy is used to make heat in internal combustion engines, the less BTU per gallon the shorter the distance it will propel a vechicle Bring back the old diesel # 2 please

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)