My Grandfather gave my his 1970 Duster some years ago and it got to the point where it needed a lot of work and I couldn't afford it so it has sat for many years. It lived on the east coast most of its life so it has a fair amount of rust on it, but now that it is in Colorado the rusting has slowed considerably.

I have recently started thinking about restoring it and making it a semi-daily driver, no racing just packing in the family for a ride. It has a slant 6 with an automatic tranny, no A/C, no power anything.

My question to everyone is what are some good upgrades to make? I know this is a broad question so let me narrow it a bit. I am going to keep the slant 6, but am thinking a manual transmission would be nice. What trannies do you suggest? The front suspension is torsion bars, would swapping to double wishbone be a good idea? I ask because I was thinking an anti-sway bar would be good to install. The brakes are drums all the way around, should I do a disc brake swap all the way around?

I am planning to take the body off the frame and clean the frame and powered coat it and install new bushings, is there anything anyone recommends I do while the body is off? The body does have some rust and some parts are worse than others. Does anyone have a good supplier of metal parts as well as soft parts? I have seen what people are advertising I am just looking for your personal recommendations.

I don't have a budget in mind, I am planning on doing this over the next couple of years. Right now I am looking for ideas and building a plan.

Peter Colorado Springs CO 1970 Plymouth Duster