Quote:

I read your "fix" (sheilded leads) but was wondering if perhaps a weak magnet in the pick up might make the system more sensitive to noise. I also have a one wire GM alternator mounted close to the distributor, but ran this way for years without trouble.

Ken,
Do you have the shielded cable to the distributor?
I tried two different magnetic pickups in my distributor during the trouble shooting, and they acted the same. I guess if one is deteriorating and the signal is not as strong, the signal to noise ratio would get worse and might reach the MSD interference limit.

I was running for years also. It started with the addition of 15 amps more alternator load and I am thinking that more alternator output made more noise and reached the threshold. Also I noticed the Delco alternator would be better when cold, and after heat soaking and round robin, it got worse (interference).

After trying all those things and each time the car misfired, then doing this cable mod and having it work perfect, I felt so relieved. I am going to mod my spare distributor the same way. Maybe I should log off this computer and go to the shop and do it, now!

1993 Daytona, 5.50 at 130mph (1/8) 1.19 sixty ft (PG). Link to 572 B1 - Part 1