Recently sold my '90, 4wd.

Seems like most here are 2wd, fairly easy conversion to 4wd, front suspension, steering, etc is same either way, the 2wd uses a tube axle.

"Unibody" is sort of a misnomer, they do have a cab welded to a stamped, heavy gauge sheet metal frame, the rear section is boxed same material. I HAVE seen a few rusted badly and folding in the cab/rear frame area.

Beds are bolted on, with the gas tank hanging from the bed ...tank needs dropped to remove the bed (at least un strapped).

Pretty much everything from the doors forward is interchangeable with a Cherokee, and that includes the doors, they are same as 4 dr Cherokee.

Floors are probably the most rust prone area, my theory is that it is due to the predominance of rubber floor mats in them, trapping any moisture.

Commonly leak around the heater air inlet at the cowl,(outside water) and rear window in mine had a leak.

I really enjoyed mine, preferred it to the D150, to the point the Dodge just sat, getting no love.

Depending on what your needs are, the 4.0 is preferable, with the great working AW auto trans.

Gas mileage isn't great, even tho fuel injected, if you get 20 you are doing very well. I have had 3 of these motors in different XJ/MJs, they are good motors tho. I currently have a XJ Wagoneer with a LT1 efi from a '93 Z28, actually gets better mileage than the 4.0s did.

Comanche specific parts are somewhat hard to find, and there is a split at the '90-91 years, as the newer ones are the "HO" motors, the older ones are generally called "Renix" models, after the injection supplier. All of mine have been renix, and honestly have good power.

Every one I have had experience with has had it's own set of problems. Some are common, some peculiar and hard to track down. It takes a little getting used to. Small radiators, cooling system air pockets, poor grounds (many),the fact that Jeep especially in the renix years (87-90, generally) was getting parts from many suppliers doesn't help.

Tail lights are specific, and usually hard to find. Fuel pumps are in tank, and available, but the gauge/sender is not avail new, different years different pumps (renix/HO).

Steering when right and tight is good, suprisingly fast, good feel.
As I understand (and I may be wrong) the steering box is what borgeson starts with in the fast ratio mopar box they are selling, and if that is the case I recommend the box.

WOW, did this get out of control! Didn't mean to be so long ... I WILL have another, only sold mine because I HAD to to pay taxes.

Comancheclub.com is THE BEST source to check, lots of good people, lots of good info, sort of like Moparts ...

8002312-036.jpg (154 downloads)
Last edited by VL21; 01/18/14 08:48 PM.

It takes gasoline to interest me.