Quote:

the engine will be a 318 bored 40 over, with stock replacement internals, 429/444 lift (340 cam), 302 casting heads with some mild porting & polishing, edelbrock performer with 600 cfm holley.

what about comp cams 744-17 retainers? & would they work with the stock keepers?

I ran a Napa house brand 340 cam that had the .429/.444 lift with stock 360 heads/springs it pulled to 5500 with no issues on stock springs.

but good you are wanting to do it right by measuring and using correct parts that fit. don't for get installed height, coil bind,valve stem clearance with new retainers/locks/seals.

I just slam some well used parts with some new parts with some fresh oil and COLOR ME LUCKY!

have to say I have had some fun with junk and enjoy it when it is winding up hard and drops a valve/slings a rod/spins a bearings or all of the above at once every NOW and THEN.

kinda my low stakes gambling addiction. got 2 more roller cam 318s on the stand waiting for a chance to seems my nv4500 5-speed just uped the stakes alittle by the looks of my tires.