Quote:

i mean a flat top piston (no step) with a cylinder head with a quench pad. use a piston with a quench dome (step) for a open chamber (no quench pad) head.

Will work either way. There have been many 500-550hp big block builds with ~210cc intake runner. If you feel you need more, edelbrock victor heads will have your large port. Indy also makes some large port heads as well. Probably others I'm not aware of, because for me that's overkill.

If you don't think a 440source or edelbrock rpm head will make any more hp than a stock head, you are dead wrong. Now port and install larger valves in a stock head and it'll make as much power as a source/eddy rpm head yes, but for the money you've dumped into stock iron heads, you could have almost just bought some aftermarket aluminum heads.

Some have milled open chamber heads far enough to make a quench pad out of them, but we're talking at least .10" worth of milling. That means you'll also have the mill the intake side of the heads a lot, plus likely need custom length pushrods by that point. Also I hear that much milling can make the stock heads crack prone.