Quote:

Is drilling and tapping the oil pickup boss to 1/2" still a common practice on street/strip 440's?

I do it because I can. It is one of those mods you either choose to do or not. To me it is part of getting the oil system up to a standard where I think it should be.

Take a look at any modern engine today. I have seen many very small displacement engines that have oil pickups the size of a hemi delivery system. Many of these modern systems use lower oil pressure, very light grades of oil, and likely many other things that I have not yet learned.

I now try to run lighter oils that return faster and lower pressures. I now believe that good solid oil volume is a must.

Just because others get away with sucking oil through a straw and have had no failures, doesn't mean you won't. I am certain most of the people who build engines that live, have come up with many ways to improve all the little things in their engine building practices.

I know most of these builders go through their engines and look them over more than I do. I am just saying that the old modification was done to one of my first builds almost 30 years ago and it still lives with the original build components.

I no longer run 40, or 20w50 weight oil like I did back then. I have evolved into different thinking, and I personally believe that some of these old school mods still have a place in engine building.

Too many cars, too many parts, too little coin, too little space to work in, too little time left to make it all happen! Update: down to one ride, still too many parts, a little more jingle in the pocket, gaining space, and it's going to happen this year!