Quote:

replace them both, I did. and you still have a time bomb.

If you have enough traction and power you can mess up a 8 3/4, my Duster started off with a 1964 B body housing, had it narrowed and new ends installed, order special made Strange 35 spline axles, to work with the A body brakes and length for them, bought a 35 spline Starnge spool. I had a set of 1/4 Max ladder bars instaleed along with tubs to the subframes and sub frame connectirs, Strang Engr coil overs and a diagaonla link. I broke a tranny yoke in half, then twisted up a pinion yoke opening up the saddle enough to spit the interior retainers out, ruining the rear sprag in the tranny and The final straw was I twisted the non back braced housing up enough to peel the right side ladder bar brackets off that housing on the starting line The bad thing about the housing twisting was it was talking to me before it broke but I wasn't listening. The right side axle was real hard to install, I had to drive it in with a block of wood and BFG I had also cracked the outside edge of all the teeth onseveral ring gears I had treid 3:73,3:91, 4.10 and 4.30 gear ratio in the car I ended up having a Dana 60 out of 3/4 ton pick up( 3 1/8 axle tube diameter) cut down and made to fit my car, I reused the axles by cutting about a 1/2 inch off of one end and reused the brakes and brackets off of the 8 3/4 My car weighed 3450 lbs with me in it and a full tank of gas at the track, ran low tens and high 9 at 134.+ MPH corked up with the air cleaner on

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)