71 Duster street machine, 340/W2 with TTi 1 7/8 step headers with full exhasut, 904, Summit deep pan with thick flange, B+M Pro Ratchet shifter with 5 foot cable, mini starter.

Shifter was originally installed when the car had a bench seat but that was removed recently for buckets. During seat mockup, the shifter got moved farther back on the tunnel because it was more comfortable with the new seat position, thus altering the effective length of the cable. It was initially looped around the starter and was tied to the trans support brackets. It seemed to be OK there, not burned or anything. The hole in the tunnel where the cable goes through the floor is pretty far up towards the firewall.

But now since it's moved back a little, there is not enough length to loop it around the starter anymore - it basically sits right between where the headers and starter is and right on the header tube. Not good.

Clearly I could drill another hole and move the point where the cable goes through the floor but that doesn't really solve the problem of the extra length.

Before I start messing with it, I wanted to see if anyone had success with a 3 foot cable? Seems to me the shorter one could seem to solve the issue of all the extra length and where to put it so it doesn't melt or bind. The threaded boss where the kick down linkage used to bolt to looks like a perfect place for a clamp.

I have read through several posts on here about these cables, seems like a common problem with routing. I didn't see if anyone solved the issue with the shorter cable though. Just for reference, I have a big ground strap on the passenger side and heat shielding.

Thanks for any input.

- Greg

'71 Duster
'72 Challenger
'17 Ram 1500