1978 440-7, bought used, no reliable history. Photos help tell the story: http://picasaweb.google.com/cat.etal/OilPanCamLifters#

I've never been able to turn this engine by hand. Removed intake and found half the lifters frozen in their bores. Applied rust remover and waited. They came out.

Debris around lifters looks like rust flakes from intake manifold and crossover (see photos). Oil pan has dried-up sludge puddle (see photo). Pickup tube screen is clear (photo). Oil pump and filter not present. Valve springs, seals okay, no rocker arm galling. Don't have old plugs to study.

There is very little oil in this engine, helping to account for the rusted-in-bore lifters. If it didn't run out of oil while running, it was drained well and sat for God knows how long.

Heads are still on. I suspect rusted piston rings and have applied brake fluid to one side and leveled that cylinder bank for even distribution. I hope to see brake fluid dripping out from all four cylinders soon, then do other side, bang on block and try to turn again.

Questions: What is the telltale sign of overheating to look for before or during teardown? Any other suggestions for freeing what I believe is a mildly stuck engine?

Thanks,

David

1977 Executive Diplomat II