I am restoring a '70 cuda 340 4 speed with a SPD of 2/26. I had always thought the trans was a matching assy but now I am not so sure. Take a look at this VIN Stamping. I had thought the fonts and size looked normal and I have seen some pretty crappy VIN stampings on both blocks and tranny's but until I looked closer this trans appears to have a different story.

For all practical purposes, this trans looked to be the original assy for this car. It has the correct 696 blue stencil on the housing. The assy date of the Trans is Jan 13, 1970 which is kind of early for MY SPD. My VIN is OB262398 but the VIN underneath looks to be OB253550. Is it possible that it is a factory screwup? Like I said ... all indications are that the trans is original to the car.

The stamp looks old and pretty close to factory font... in the '3' and '2'.

I know what most will think but am wondering if somehow the trans was mis ID'd at the factory and then overstamped with my cars VIN. Perhaps the other VIN had already been used? and was duplicated in error on this trans. Anyone ever heard of anything like that happening?

Thoughts?

7889098-IMG_0549.JPG (803 downloads)