I had a no start situation after a long garage rest for my Coronet, 318 2 Bbl. I determined the carb was not getting gas. When I disconnected the fuel line at the filter, it came off with a POP, and then the normal spillage out the filter. So the gas was making it past the pump. I took the top off the carb to expose the bowl, and it was bone dry. I manipulated the acc pump, floats, and the metering rod (I think) just to make sure things were moving. I put a little gas in the bowl, reassembled, and it fired right up. Here, I left the fuel filter OFF to eliminate it as a problem. Ran just fine for 10 minutes, and I shut it down. Next, I hear a hissing coming from the carb, and looking closely, I can see gas running out what seemed like every orifice of the carb! It was enough to drench the intake, and puddles were forming. Atop the intake, it was hot enough to bubble, so I backed off quick-like. I grabbed a towel to either wrap around my soon to be on fire head or fan off the heat from the engine. Fortunately, no disaster ensued.
I'm suspicious of the POP when I disconnected the line, and all that hissing and fuel barfing at the end has me puzzled. Perhaps a cracked bowl? But why all the hissing?
I'm thinking I'm retiring the 2 Bbl setup here, so I'm not going to knock myself out on solving this. But I am curious if anyone has any thoughts on this.
Thanks!