I've generally found Robert's advice to be sound and based on actual experience. I do know of a couple of relatively simple and no cost modifications that you may want to consider at your next oil change. First just having to use the 90* adapter adds some more restrictions to the lube system. If you remove the adapter you will see some pretty tight turns that some porting can help with. Next there are some nipples that don't have the internal square drive hole, but are round inside and nearly 1/2 in. in diameter. They use a hex on the outer flange. If you can't find one it is a relatively simple matter to drill out the square drive [ do it in stages ] to 1/2 in. Then simply grind a hex on the flange so you can use a socket. 13/16 works pretty well. There are plenty of internal drive nipples around since that's what holds the filter plate on small blocks without an adapter. That way if you screw one up replacing it isn't a problem. Re install as Robert said ie. clean threads and blue locktite. Just in case you're interested the large bolt that holds the adapter to the block goes in at 50 ft.lbs. or at least good and tight. I use blue locktite on it as well. Obviously if you can avoid using the adapter that would be best, but I realize some exhaust systems require it.