I stage a little different than most. I footbrake (true footbrake, no transbrake, no 2-step) and even though my car is very consistant, it reacts slow. If I just barely dink the 2nd light on and leave on the bottom amber bulb, my reaction time is in the .09 range. If I actually go full deep (turn off the pre stage bulb), after a few passes I get comfortable with deep staging, and I'm -.006 red. My solution is to go 1/2 deep, meaning turn on the 2nd bulb and then roll in just a bit more, but leave the pre stage light lit. A lot of old timers call this method "bump racing". Most will tell you that it is difficult at best to be sucsessful at, and I will tell you that it takes a lot of practice to get it right every time. When you race like this, you have to be mindful of your dial in also because where you stage will effect your ET. In my case there is .010 sec difference between shallow staged and full deep staged. It might not be for everyone, but, it works for me.
If you are in the lane beside me and you see my top amber flicker then stay lit, you're gonna need your "A" game, 'cause the old man is probably gonna drill you!

Brian