Quote:

Quote:

Time for me to jump in here. I have been helping out a lot with this build so I can offer some more into the discussion. The lifter busing point is understood but I don't think there will be an issue with the fire up of this motor over the first. As stated earlier, the first motor has approximately 10 hours of run time. And, it is running a Hughes Cam and Lifters as opposed to the other makes available. Once they are broken in Hughes has told me that on a swap such as this, there isn't an issue with firing it up in a normal fashion. It was recommended though to at least keep it at about 2200 on the rpms and to bump the accelerator a few times to insure lifter rotation. Break in oil is Brad Penn. It was merely a swap out of the necessary parts from motor #1 to motor #2 excluding the bottom end of motor #1.

Now where the problem seems to lie is that in the first try, it backfired through the carb. We both checked and concurred that we had the motor it @ TDC but we were 180 out. So we adjusted for that and we had the same backfire through the carb. As stated above, the cam distributor gear drive upon inspection was not @ parallel to center line of the block as per the FSM and EBoogher's latest article in Mopar Action. BB's are parallel center and SB's are from 8-2 o'clock with the rotor pointing towards the first intake manifold bolt on the #1 piston side. Anyway...the key way for the distributor shaft will only point to either the 4-10 position or the 2-8 one. Not at parallel center as is correct for the BB. The timing sprockets are lined up dot to dot with the cam sprocket key way set @ 4R. Cam is ground @ 3A so there shouldn't be a really big deal there. Again dots are dot to dot. So the head scratching has been abundant here with this motor. On the old one everything lined up as it was supposed to but now in the motor we have the above described issue.

From what most of you have been saying, if I understand you all correctly, is that even though we are not @ parallel center on this BB, we are OK as long as we have the motor correctly @ TDC and the #1 plug wire tower and the rotor pointing correctly towards #1. We then should be OK in the theory of it. As long as everything is lined up correctly in relation to #1 and we are @ TDC then it really doesn't matter where the distributor gear is placed or if it is off of parallel center line. Is this a correct understanding? I have been kind of analyzing this on my own and have been wondering if this is all that needs to be done to get this back up and running. Again in theory it should work fine.

Hope this adds some more clarification to what we have been experiencing for you all to help us out. It is hard to explain in words without some visual referencing to help as well. This is not a fancy or hot rod build but rather a pretty tame one at that. Thanks in advance and I hope I was able to shed some more light on this issue. There is a ton of knowledge here as we all know...

As of now you are HOPING that the timing gears are
correct... sounds like they are not... the dot to dot
isnt a good way to install a cam... I've seem way too
many be off... I had one that was 27* off based on the
dots... I was thinking you guys degreed it but now
I know you played the dots.... I will go back to my
first idea (based on your info AND that your dist
doesnt line up like stock)... I think your cam is off

OK...Then how can the cam be off from one block to the next? Yes we did line it up on the 2nd motor dot to dot as it was degree'd on the first motor and all we are doing is moving components from one block to the next. So we matched "apples to apples" so to speak. I know logic is not really a player when it comes to MOPARS...MA defied all kinds of Logic...but we have really not changed any thing here. Just doesn't make any sense at all....