Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Isn't the elastomer usually dry rotted on a stock one?

Theres still some out there in great shape. The one off my old 440 is in super shape, so its keeper.

But if you found a good one, I wouldnt hesitate to use it for what your doing.

How do you tell if the old factory stocker is in good shape?

First, by a visual. There is a inner and outer steel hub. Between that is a 1/8" of rubber connection. Its that rubber connection that deteriorates and misaligns the two hubs making it junk.

Visually, if you can see cracks in that joint around its 360* perimiter, thats a bad sign. It doesnt it mean its bad, but its getting there.

On a good one, you wont see any cracks, like the one I have from 1970. The rubber looks fresh for its age.

On a bad one the rubber connection with cracks , you will even see the rubber pushing out or bulging out between the two steel hubs, that would be junk!

Another test, if you think you have a decent one, is , Does it Spin perfectly true on your engine, if it has a weeble wobble, then its junk also, no matter how well the rubber connection looks.

Ive got a few stockers here, and my 1970 one is in great shape while a 1973 externally balanced dampner is junk. It has dry rot, the rubber connection is pushing out in several places around its 360* perimiter.