I was reading the other thread in the race section on whether or not to use vacuum advance and this got me to thinking about dumping the vacuum advance on my 417 stroker.

Ever since I built this motor I have never gotten it to idle well without setting the idle at 950rpm (or higher). The reason I'm thinking about dumping it is that when the idle is set below 950 the engine has a slight pulsing idle to it (with the vacuum advance canister connected to the carb). I have read that this is due to an issue with the vacuum advance canister (amount the canister needs) and the engine vacuum.

My engine produces about 14in of vacuum but due to the cam it has a rough idle so I'm thinking this might be messing with the vacuum advance canister an hence producing the pulsing idle.

So my question is can I just unhook the vacuum advance on the distributor and plug the carb vacuum hose stub and just drive it that way (note: I don't want to modify the distributor)? The distributor was curved by FBO and this was assuming I had the vacuum canister attached, so I'm not sure if there are any consequences to unhooking the vacuum advance and driving it that way.

Also just for the record, I don't care about getting a little better gas mileage using vacuum advance so no need to bring that up.

Thanks

70 Cuda 340 4 speed - now stroked to 416ci (SOLD)
2017 Mustang Shelby GT350