Hi Dodgem,
I reset the float bowls last year when I rebuilt the carb (or re-gasketed the carb, as it were).
I thought I should double check the levels, but just ran out of time.
I'm somewhat lacking in the tuning area, mostly because I don't touch the car for a year, then forget what I learnt in the past. Indeed, took me ages to lash the valves, simply because it's been so long... and I forgot all my little tricks to getting the awkward plugs out to turn the engine.

And yes, I plan on tossing a different power valve in it.

Anyway, I'll get back to it on the weekend, unless I'm home from work early during the week.

Also, I found this in amongst my PMs from 5 years ago when this engine was first fired up, from the gentleman that spec'd the engine out:

"I would expect about 10-12 inches of vacuum on that combo. what are the idle rpm and timing set at? dominators don't have any vacuum ports so hopefully you drilled in a good spot. that combo should idle around 950 rpm with timing at around 18* btdc.
if those are correct i'd take a look at the valve lash. that cam is 259/266 @ .of with.587/.593 lift on a 112 lobe center. it should have plenty of vacuum if installed at 108* and the lash is correct. with the engine warm, lash should be .016 intake/.018 exhaust. aside from the vacuum issue, how does it run? throttle response should be crisp and power should be plenty to roast the tires at will. if it's not that way i'd say the tune is off considerably."

If nothing else, tells me I should be looking for more vacuum than I'm getting (which we already knew).