Thanks for the comments guys.

“……..are you going to upgrade to a gas engine? I'd think the starter would burn out fairly quickly at constant use?????......”

I’d like to, mostly to give Cade some firsthand experience with engines and because I firmly believe if it’s got wheels it should burn dead dinosaurs. We had started out with a 55 year old 2 stroke engine but after getting it cleaned up we found out it needed some parts (that I’m still looking for). Cades going thru a growing spurt and may not fit in the car much longer so I made the decision to go electric for now just to get it going.

As far as the motor lasting, we’ll have to see. I came across a site where people were building homemade golf carts using these old Ford starters and they seemed to have fairly good luck as long as they could keep them cool. I removed the tin cover over the brushes, drilled the end plate with vent holes and added a fan a shroud.

So far it seems to be doing pretty good, it’s probably got over 3 hours on it and is still going strong ( I have a couple more sitting on the shelf just in case).

1957 Plymouth (Hemi, Dual Quads, A833 4 Speed 9 1/4 w 4.10) Sold
1937 Dodge Pickup (Hemi, 6X2 intake, 46RH, Dana 60 w 4.56) Sold
1968 Plymouth Valiant 2dr sedan (354 HEMI, 46RH w/4.30 gears) under construction