Quote:

OK- silly question from someone who doesn't know a thing about flow bench measurements. If someone were to assemble a complete motor and hook up a drive motor with enough umph to turn the crankshaft, could actual flow in the test engine be simulated accurately by turning the it at various RPM?

Of course, there would be some differences between the test setup and reality, but seems it would be closer than a flow bench. The trick would be how to measure pulsed flow vs. the continuous flow on a bench.

Your statement above got me to thinking. Having experience in Industrial Automation I was thinking about this. What if someone were to make a flowbench and was hooked to a pump source for both vacuum and pressure yet used solonoids controled by a PLC (Programmable Logic Controler) that actuated the valves according to the specified cam specs that could be programmed into the PLC. The programming tell it how long and how far to open each valve. I would think that the PLC could be interfaced to control the velocity of the pump which would simulate the VE of the motor. would it not? Would it work? Any Thoughts? Cheers !!!

Big Jimmy