Quote:

Quote:

FWIW, '88 was when the 4.3/5.0/5.7 went to the roller cam. '96 is when they went to the Vortech heads on the v8s. I think the 4.3s were a few years earlier, maybe '94 for the Vortech heads.

On the rust, yeah I know... It is not worth it if there is any indication of rust starting. I am going to go look at the Dakota this week. I tend to crawl all over (and under!) vehicles when I buy, so I'll take a good look at the under side, brake/fuel lines, cab corners, rockers, doors, wheel openings, etc.

Chevy truck 305 and 350s did NOT get the roller cam until 96 when they went Vortech, I have rebuilt quite a few including one last week and another (95) on the stand right now.

Looks like you are correct. Sorry about the misinformation. The 4.3s were roller and evidently autos, but not trucks until '96. Good to know. I did heads and intake on a friends '88 350 in his 1500 and I would bet money that it had roller lifters. This was 10+ years ago. Guess my memory is getting bad.

Back to the Dakota... took the '95 GMC to a few shops for rust repair quotes. One wanted 2200 the other 3200. This is a 20' truck, with very little visible rust. Just happens that the cab corners need done, and some rust is just starting on three of the four wheel openings. Also was to blast and paint the bottom of the door edges which are just starting to show some corrosion. *sigh*

I might be getting the Dakota after all and just deal with the clear coat issue. We'll see.

383, Hemi 4-Speed, AlterKtion, D60