Quote:

Tape off all of the holes (very well). I'd use an abrassive scotch pad on an air powered angle grinder to scrub every inch of the block of leftover paint, hardened grease, scale, etc. (you can do it with hand held scotch pads as well but it's a TON more work). Then get a gallon of acetone and wash down all of the surfaces wiping after it with a clean white cloth (lintless is best, terry cloth, etc. not reccomended). After you've gone over it several times do it once more for good measure, you want it to the point that the white cloth is still white when you are done.

Once cleaned skip primering it and just spray on a thin coat of single stage enamel, let it dry and follow up with second more moderate coat to cover. You don't want it too thick, just enough for an even full coverage (this will prevent chipping/flaking issues down the road).

I HIGHLY reccomend paint from Frank Badelson (sixpackfrank@aol.com) he sells the same type of paint and colors that the factory used and it holds up EXCELLENT if applied as directed. If you don't have a paint gun you can but a Preval air sprayer for a few bucks and they work great.

I painted this Hemi with it using the directions above back around 1990 or so. This picture was taken in 2008 and I just looked at it again 2 weeks ago, it looks just as nice.

This is a good write up , when you say to scrub every inch of leftover paint do you mean to remove it completely ?

As far as the Baldenson paint , he's doing an engine for his race car , I know Mike may be budget limited , that paint probably cost more than he has in the engine