I took it out to do a few errands yesterday. It's a '76 360, auto two BBL. To begin with (a few in town miles) it ran fine (a bit cold, but other wise fine). After I went a few miles, I came to a stop, sat there idling (till traffic cleared), hit the gas, it just died! After I got it restarted, it started running like it was running out of gas (both tanks had gas in them, about 1/2. I even switched tanks a few times). I'd come to a stop and it would die. I'd restart it and it would sputter, then run up ok as I gave it gas in neutral. As soon as I'd put it in gear (on a roll), it would sputter, and barely run again (did this three or four times). I did this a few times. I abandoned my errands and headed (at a limp) for home (just a few miles, a few stop signs, and not knowing if I was going to make it or not). As I got closer to home, it started to run like it should again. I gave it gas, and it started taking it again as it should. Got to the house, and even backed it into the car port. Revved it up a few times in the car port, it did Ok.
Today I put a new fuel pump, and filter on. I'm not sure if this fixed it or not. I haven't had a chance to take it out yet. I did start it up in the car port, and it ran fine (both in neutral, and in gear) for the few minutes I revved on it, and had it running. Very puzzling.
Have any of you out there had one of yours do this? I'm thinking a fuel delivery problem (Carb.?), but could it be electronic, vapor locking (although the fuel lines are not close to anything hot)?