I admit, I didn't read the previous posts. But, I am working on a new lubrication system for our hydroelectric plant and have come up with some things worth passing on:

1. You probably aren't going to see outright failures with any filter, the lubrication systems are pretty good. Especially if you are running an air filter, because road dirt is a real problem when ingested.

So this means that any filter that doesn't blow up or leak is most likely going to seem okay.

2. If you want to improve your engine's oil filtration, you should be using a filter made with SYNTHETIC FIBERS. That's the key. Most $10 oil filters have synthetic fibers.

But remember, as you weren't having any outright failures before, the new filters are not going to make any short-term difference.
One may see a reduction of wear over the years. Recent research shows that particles, much smaller than the distance between bearing and journal, can and do cause wear.

If one really wanted clean oil, then a "kidney loop" filtration system with a 5 micrometer (micron) absolute particle size would be the answer. Then one could run almost any oil filter and the oil would still be clean, cleaner than it is now.

R.

People get all bent out of shape about oil and filters. I'm not going to bother reading any replies because it's sort of like religion. But synthetic fibers are the key, if you're interested in reality.