I've done quite a few of them over the years.

My wife took custom upholstery back in hi school in 1982-83. We both went to a vocational hi school. She was the only girl in the class of 30 or so guys for 2 years.

I helped her do a couple back then and have never been afraid of them since like people are today.
I helped her put up(a headliner, she sewed it) in her parents huge 1980 something ford station wagon one time, that was fun. Custom-ed sewed and about 12' long.

Anyway get it out of the box and leave it out a while, under the sun is good too. To help get rid of the folds.

I like to lay out my old one and make sure there's enough material.
Transfer the bows making sure there in the correct order.

Then like said, most important is to mark the center line of the window and center line of the headliner. Make sure those 2 marks line up and then just simply pull all the winkles out as you go around the perimeter hooking it to the hooks all around your inside roof.

Really simple if you think about it.

Like said, sometimes it's good to walk away for a day or so to give time for your neck to get better.

Got to use contact cement, you know that real smelly stuff that is only good for a couple days after you open the lid. It's the only stuff that will last and really hold it solid . imo. Don't smoke while using it.

Heat out of a hair dryer and the sun will pull any small wrinkles out over time. This round hole headliner was much harder to work with than the other type that is in my 74 challenger that I did long time ago.

This type of material is real easy to work with, way easier than the stuff with holes in it that the earlier cars had.
I installed both these headliners by myself, it's not that hard or anything other than climbing around inside the car some. I try to do most from outside the car when the windows are out of it.

Then pictures are always good to help insure you put it back right. Even if there was no headliner left when you took the car apart.

Last edited by Challenger 1; 03/18/13 04:50 PM.