Quote:

From the August 1967 issue of "Hi-Performance Cars" magazine:

Quote:

When we first learned that the [67 383 Barracuda] engine was only rated at 280 hp instead of 325, we immediately jumped to conclusions and pointed our fingers at the factory for cheating on the engine's rating so that the car would be shoehorned into a more desirable NHRA stock class. Plymouth's explanation was that they lost 40 to 50 hp when they had to redesign the headers to clear the chassis and shock towers on the Barracuda. This is actually nonsense as the headers do not appear to be any less restrictive than the ones on the middleweight model 383's and they would have to route them in a spiral pattern up the steering column to lose that much horsepower!

I don't know , that looks conjecture to me. 67 is a one year manifold on the drivers side , they changed the part that goes around the column for 68/69 and upped the rating , but I think 68 is only 300HP , 69 is 330hp. I don't know which cam was used in 68 but the 69 is the same engine that is in the Road Runner and Superbee rated at 335hp, same cam,a same carb number. The 383 in the 69 A bodies only differences are the exhaust manifolds and it has a dual point instead of the RR/SB engine having a single point distributor.