I would recommend disassembling and checking or having a shop do it if you don't have the tools/know how.

I bought a pair around July. I took them apart to check them out. They came with comp 7 degree locks and retainers. Everything was pretty nice, and I hand lapped all of the valves. They produced a nice pattern with minimal lapping.

One of the valve faces looked like it was machined funny, but there was nothing wrong with it. I'm not sure how to explain it, but it just had a different look in the center of the face, almost like the machinist stopped, and then re-continued. It was nothing physically different, just cosmetic.

Two of the valves were a bit tough to pull out of the guides. The valve stems had decent clearance with the guides. I did not measure valvestem play, as there appeared to be none and my equipment wouldn't be accurate enough to measure .001 or whatever minimal amount there was. That being said they were not too tight, they felt perfect to me. I've run heads with MUCH tighter feeling guides that were fine (with my fingers crossed).

The reason that the two valves were tough to pull out of the guides: Aluminum shavings. A fair amount, not one or two shavings, but a collection that was enough to sort of fill in the recession for the lock on the stem by the time the valve was out

The shavings did not appear to cause any damage to the guides luckily (I sprayed a lot of oil and was cautious when they didn't want to come out).

Also, apparently not all off the shelf head gaskets work with these heads still. I had a pair of the fel pro blues that come in the re-gasket kits (4.41 inch bore) and they overhung into one combustion chamber on each head (I believe it was cylinders 3 and 6 (same chamber on both heads, would orientate as 3 or 6 depending on the bank you installed it on).

The ports looked nice, and looked like they had a little bit of cleanup work done after the fact by hand. Nothing drastic, but a little bit of work to clean them up in a few spots.

This is just an amateur, wanna be engine builders opinion. Have them checked or check them out yourself. Its not hard if you have a valve spring compressor, and summit has tools to check valve spring height for 50-60 bucks .I believe they have bench "C Clamp" style valve spring compressors for about the same price. The compressor is a nice investment to make.

Also, I think it goes without saying, but I had to clearance for 3/8 pushrods. A 5/16 checker pushrod I had was pretty close, but would have been ok.

I haven't CC'd the combustion chambers yet, the heads are still off (I've been building this engine for literally 5 months as money and time allows, and my next summit purchase is going to be a burette for CC combustion chambers. I will report those findings eventually.

Last edited by GTX MATT; 02/21/13 07:56 PM.

Now I need to pin those needles, got to feel that heat
Hear my motor screamin while I'm tearin up the street