Quote:

The front of the 904 or A-500 can be built with enough strength for 600ft/lbs of torque without using many aftermarket parts. As to the O/D unit, the A-500 can be upgraded to 518 parts - my buddies trans shop has done many of the A-500 RH40 units and swapped in 46-48 O/D clutch drums. As to the 200R4 - 700R4 debate, it doesn't really take any more parts to make a 200R4 take that kind of power than a 700R4 does, and the 200R4 is lighter and smaller than the 700. It also has the same gear ratios as the A-500, so it doesn't have the big RPM drop as a 700R4. Thats why I like the 200 over the 700.

sounds great but i dont speak GM.id have to learn what to look for,how to build ect.i may go that way tho.my boss has a guy who rebuilds our work truck trannies for 700 total including parts,removal and install into the vehicle we hate fork those trannies EVERY day.then again with the GM im back to building a driveshaft so that savings is lost.

the junkyards around here charge 50 for automatics,+20 for truck trannies(all 727)+20 for OD,+35 for core.

right now id rank my choices as follows:

gm
mopar od

this is a common debate for mopars-add more meat on the plate and you get more fat.big block needs a 727,big cooling sytem,and a dana to live.if you build a big block you may as well build 500 plus inches becose it costs the same then if you want double digit gas milage you need an overdrive or 323 in the rear.now you have a 3800 lb mid 11 sec car and in the other lane is a 360 magnum duster with a 904 and 391 gears.short slicks for the track,tall tires for the street running low twelves and getting the same gas milage as you for way less cost to build......now imagine that times a hundred when you show up to compete at a road course.the big block a518 dana car is going to get his tail whooped bad.