I had a soda blaster quote me $1700 to do a completely stripped A body convertible. Inside/outside, and all body parts. While I have not had it done, when the time comes I will buy a blaster, and several hundred pounds of soda and blast it myself. I have used Aircraft stripper in the past, messy, dries too fast in AZ, expensive gallon at a time, several applications usually necessary if car has been repainted and needs to be rinsed with water when completed (remember bare metal). Sand is too course and will warp panels, there are other media to use (walnut shells etc) but you might have to look into which ones are safe for body panels.
If you want an inexpensive start, go buy a box of razor blades and a good handle and you'll have most of the paint and primer off in no time, plus you can vacuum it up, put it in a ziplock and impress your freinds. My brother stripped a 71 vette this way and I stripped a 69 dart this way. Only used about a dozen blades. When your done you can use a DA with semi course disc to get the rest.

68 AMX mopars red headed stepchild
69 Dart GT Convertible 340 4 speed
71 Challenger - looks like the avatar!