Quote:

Quote:

and this http://www.ehow.com/how_7990457_boost-octane-alcohol.html

Careful with that Ehow stuff.

Those instructions are sort of convoluted. Sound chopped up from some other info by a writer. At least, that article says to add a drying additive IF you use alcohol. Well alcohol IS a drying additive.

Checked out that article. And it looks iffy to me. According to my MP book, the three types of boosters contain either Alcohol (methanol), Aromatic Hyrdocarbons (Toluene), or Metallics (Lead of Manganese) with the first two being the least effective. If you can find a booster that actually contains tetraethyl-lead anymore (my book is quite old) you could go up 1.5 to 2 octane points. .75 points with the other two.

And I'm pretty sure isopropyl alcohol does nothing at all when mixed with gasoline. Tried it once in my younger days when I was having a pinging problem and it didn't help at all.

If no one around you sells race gas, call your airport and tell them you are working on an old cesna engine and see if you can buy aviation gas a gas can at a time. Heard of it being done back in the day, but not sure what fuel tax/legalities this would involve.

Last edited by Michael Ecks; 02/03/13 10:48 PM.

"The happiness of your life depends upon the quality of
your thoughts" ~ Roman Emperor Marcus Aurelius