My neighbor is working to restore a 69 Charger for for a fellow Mopar guy here in the area. He came over and asked a question that I honestly had never thought about before. So I thought I would post it here for the experts to weigh in on. In the below pictures you will see the trim around the rear side windows.The questions is about the trim:
1) First, what purpose does the rivet in the corner of the trim serve? It does not appear to be attached to the body. Is the rivet used to simply hold the trim together?

2) Second question is about how the trim fits the body. My neighbor noticed on the car they are working on (not in pictures) did not fit snugly against the body and there is a gap.

The attached pictures are of my unrestored 70 charger. The gap is clearly visible on my car. So I am wondering about this. Was there a gap and if so how is the water kept out of the car. Is there seam sealer or some type of gasket back there? Anyone know?

Drivers side.

My car is a vinyl top charger and the passenger side shows how the top would have fit, however the car he is working on is not a vinyl top car.

Pics of finished cars would be appreciated.

Last edited by moparmojo; 01/20/13 11:42 PM.