Quote:

SC, I call BS.

I am running a 570 Street Avenger on my '64Dog 318 and before that ran a R-1850 600cfm holley. Both were tunable and gave me much better throttle response and mileage than the stock 2-barrel.
A vacuum secondary 600 is a really nice fit.

On my next 318 I am going to use a '74 or so 360 intake, which is a spreadbore, with an Edelbrock Quadrajet. The reason for that is the superior metering of the Quadrajet over say a Holley squarebore. A Thermoquad would also be great but I have three Edelbrock Q-jets on the shelf and also a half-dozen real quadrajets with High Altitude jetting.

As far as exhaust goes I am running stock log exhaust into 2 1/2" pipes with Dynomax Hemi Super Turbos. Yes, headers would be better but the trnsmission crossmember of my '64 is directly in the path of the collector outlet.

So it can be done.

If the OP wants to stay in the Holley comfort zone the 80555 is a modern 650 spreadbore, the old standard 6210 with two metering blocks would be my next choice.

R.

I agree with what you've said, don't know where the BS comes in. A 570 would do nicely on a small port motor while immediately opening up to 2-1/2" exhaust after the log's. Not optimal, but well on a no budget build like I suggested also. But you must agree that a dirt cheap set of 360 JYard heads would do so much more for next to nothing, even if the 360 exh man's were used to keep cost's down. And it would let that 600 do what it's supposed to do better. The only 'real' expense is the gaskets! And if you're willing to make that purchase, why not throw a bigger stick at it with a fresh chain? Bang for the Buck baby!

The name's Bondo. Jams Bondo Tonight I'm dining with Clia Torrez