Quote:

You could ohm it at the pickup pull apart connector & do it fast while it's still hot. The spec is in the archives. Also put your VOM on low AC volts scale & see if the pickup will generate iirc ~1 volt AC while someone cranks it. Could sub in another pickup/plate or another dist depending on what you have available

Also swap the box and coil with your original parts during the time when it's failed. My bet is neither part will make it start but you should check. The resistance spec for the pick-up coil is aprox 270 ohms. Ohm testing wiring itself is a poor method. It puts no load on the circuit(amperage). Rig a simple tester with a new style head lamp bulb. Disconnect the circuit you want to test from both ends. Hook one end of the bulb to battery positive, the other end of the bulb/tester to one end of the circuit you want to test. Now ground the other end of the circuit you are testing, the bulb should light. I can't tell you how many wires I've found that went open circuit when heated or placed under load. You can check your entire key fed circuit by placing the bulb after the ballast resistor and grounding the other side of the bulb, then key on. Your problem really should be very easy to find. I bet less than 1 hour.
Doug