Quote:

I used the MSD Pro Billet. Everything is contained in the unit. It operates without a box. Just three wires to hook up. You can add a box if you want more control. When my engine was dyno'd I did a comparison with the Pro Billet and a brand new MP unit. The MSD made more a little more power but more importantly the power was much more consistent than the MP unit. You could see this on the dyno. I don't know if it would make a difference under actual operating conditions.

I run a 'pro billet'. It is a two wire unit that strictly triggers my 6AL box and provides mechanical advance. I bought some bushings to limit the advance since I run 21* initial and 34 total. I think the largest MSD bushing provides 18* mechanical which would put my total at 39*.

The nice thing is being able to swap out the springs and bushing to tune the advance curve and amount. Hot rods often need a lot of initial timing which requires dissassembly and welding and filing slots in a stock distributor. Also it is a rock solid all new piece. The cons are the corrosion that builds up on the terminals every year or so, the price of MSD caps which have to be ordered and are not on the shelf at pep boys, and the lack of vac. advance for cruising economy on the street.

The average setup using a Pro-billet will need the distributor, an ignition box, a matching coil, and wires.