Quote:

So if I get alt for let say an 89 dodge truck do I need voltage regulator from same truck? Also when I run "charge wire" it comes from "charge" post on alt to positive post on battery and use at least a 10 awg wire right? Thanks

I think the '89 application would work, but no promises. A little research on Autozone.com or one of those places should tell you what alternators are available for that application. I think I used a '90 or '91 D150 application to get an alternator at the salvage yard for mock up purposes.

Your voltage regulator will work fine. Although, if you still run a mechanical regulator, I'd swap it for one of the solid state ones that are sold as replacement parts these days. If you have an early model mopar that runs a single field wire to the alternator, you'll have to ground the other field terminal to the case on the alternator. If you have the modern dual-field regulator setup, you'll have two wires that plug into the two field terminals on the alternator. The 10 AWG wire is what I'm running at the moment as an additional "charge" wire. A little bigger (if you can find it) isn't a bad thing though. I ran mine to the positive terminal on the starter relay for convenience, but running it directly to the positive post on the battery should work too.

Again, doing a little research on this forum will reveal more info that will be useful on this swap. Particularly with the mounts. I believe longer, or shorter spacers have to be used to line everything up. Goody on this forum has a pretty good writeup on his swap.

http://www.goodysgotacuda.com/HowTo.html