I understand your difficulty about getting some of the "sweetheart" deals on P7 engines. Kent Ridder helped us to get the first one. Since then, there are other sources out there: Ernie Elliot, Evernham,and I understand that Penske still has some. I was not impressed with Davis or Petty engines. Sorry, but that is my honest opinion. You just need to keep your "ears to the ground" and one will be available. I prefer to know the exact background of a used engine, who built it and for what purpose. For example, some of these "deal" are for old experimental engines---sometimes you need to be careful of these because the heads may not be that good, etc.

I have heard of engines that sell for $4K complete. I preferred to get an Elliot engine that was a truck engine---It had a roller cam/lifters and set up for the Nascar 830 CFM carb. Restrictor plate engines often are built very different. The old Busch engines have rollers----but used the 390 carb. Of course, Cup engines are flat tappet.

Back to the valve springs----you would be surprised at the difference spring oilers and preheated oil makes on valve spring life.