Not gonna lie, tried posting this on the "Corners are best" but didn't have a single response. Maybe the guys that review that section are more the aftermarket race type, since I'm looking stock refurb thought I'd give this section a try.

Has anyone pulled a quick ratio steering box apart?

How difficult is it? I'm a little nervous but almost have myself talked into it after reading the service manual 5 times, How hard can it be??

Any special tools that HAVE to be purchased?

There is a master rebuild kit available from O'Reilly for $74 and appears to have all seals and retainer rings to completely rebuild. Are there other kits available that you would recommend. And is there any difference between a rebuild kit thats for a standard box Vs Quick Ratio? Wouldn't think so but thought I'd ask.

The car has not run since 1978 and appears to be operating smoothly (on bench removed from the car) am I best to only replace the cross shaft seal, worm shaft seal and ????? and call it good (at least it won't leak) and will likely operate just fine.

Finally is there a particular (correct) black paint I should use to refinish when complete.

Thanks for the help.

7135402-PICT0013.JPG (31 downloads)