Hello fellas,

I was looking through some of my car books last night and found a story of a 1968 440 GSS Dodge Dart in the book, Million-Dollar Muscle Cars, by Colin Comer. Chapter 11, p. 130, was as follows.

"For 1968, Norm requested a special run of 50 Dodge Darts with the 440-ci 375 hp magnum engine. As Chrysler already had a 383-ci eng. available in the Dart, a 440 would be a plug-and-play affair. A run of 50 cars would also make them NHRA legal for drag racing. Alhough this kind of corporate favor would be unheard of today, in 1968 Norm's relationship with Chrysler was enough to get this deal done."

"So Chrysler agreed to build the cars only for Mr. Norm's Grand Spaulding Dodge. 50 Dart GTS 383 cars were pulled from the line and sent to Hurst-Campbell Company for the 440 conversion just as the Hemi Super Stock Darts had been. The cars were serialized with an M code in the VIN, and all were fitted with the 440 and a 727 torqueflite automatic at Hurst. Upon completion, the Hurst/440 GTS Darts were shipped to Grand Spaulding and rebadged by Norm."

"The only way to get a 440 Dart in 1968 was to buy it at Grand Spaulding and nearly all were pre-sold. Don't confuse the 1968 GSS Darts with the later 1969 M Code cars built in house at Chrysler; the 1968 cars were hand-picked and individually converted by Hurst, making these some of the lowest-production Mopar muscle cars ever."

I just thought I'd share.

Thanks, Juan.