when i had my 68 Dart i was looking at some of the jeep rear axles myself.sitting in traffic i thought they were really close to a bolt in.

fast forward to last weekend,i put a tape measure on my sons jeep cherokee 8 1/4 rear axle from a 94

the spring perch is same as the A-body 43" centers,they would need moved to the bottom of the tube for axle over spring but would bolt right in my 85-88 truck on the axle under the spring.

i have the A-body 8 3/4 from the dart in my 88 truck now with the 12" rims in the fenders.

from what i can tell i can bolt the jeep rear axle in my 85 and tuck 12s under it also.

i need to do some more measureing to confirnm the rim width and backset for sure.

my son just poped a dana 35 with 4.10s in his jeep on the same 43" perchs the 8 1/4 come off of...

i am junkyarding looking at some of the jeep axles now,i have not run up on a rango to measure yet but looks like it might be the 43" centers too.

I like bolt in deals and looks like I have found a way of scoreing better gears 3.73-4.10 sounds good to me

I will let you know if i run up on one I can pull a measurement off the axle flange to axle flange to see how it compairs to the width of an A-body 8 3/4

side note)i do have large brakes/green bearings which make mine a 1/2" wider by 1/4" each side..this is what i will compair it to..not A-body stock skinny 1 3/4' brake offset axles.

i would bolt this jeep axle in my 85 stepside this weekend but he has the side gears welded to the carrier for a lincon locker

I am thinking a jeep 8 1/4 with disc brakes would work also for a tub job,but the coil spring brackets need removed and perches centered and welded on.

IIRC your 57 truck has an A-body rear axle,,is it narrower than A-body specs?

what are you thinking about doing with the rango rear axle???

remember those are 6 lug axles IIRC

Last edited by scratchnfotraction; 02/05/12 10:43 AM.