In a different post of mine, I was talking about picking up an LA 360 for a ramcharger Im replacing a blown motor in, and had others suggest going magnum. Well, I thought about it, and that is the best idea, with a slight twist. Im going to take the LA 360 out of my Satellite and put it in the ramcharger, and do up a nice magnum for my Satellite. Might as well be happy in the end right?

Ok, so here is what I plan on doing. Trying to have all loose ends tied up so I dont have any surprises once I start, and I can swap both motors all in one shot:

Steps for the truck:

LA 360 in the Satellite should bolt right in place of the LA 360 in the truck. Should not have any surprises there. Simple enough, right?

Steps for Car:

1. Pick up a Magnum 360.
2. Pick up a carb manifold with Magnum angle bolt holes.
3. Will need to go with electric fan (junkyard here I come).
4. I want to keep the Serpentine setup so it should drop right in, just need to have custome A/C and P/S hoses made, should not be a problem.
5. My current setup has radiator inlet on drivers top, and outlet on passenger bottom. Thats the same for the magnum correct?
6. I have manifolds on my LA 360, will those bolt up to the magnum heads or will I need to go with some headers?
7. Motor Mounts should be same right?

8. Will need to go electric fuel pump. Exactly how do you set this up. Return line needed? How is that plumbed in?

9. My LA 360 is bolted to a 904 trans using the aftermarket flexplate for proper balancing. Will this same flexplate work with the Magnum 360/904 Combo? If not what will I need to do?
10. Will the car oilpan that is on my LA 360 bolt up to my Magnum 360. If not, what specific oilpan do I need to get?
11. The ignition system that is on the LA 360 (pertronix II, Flamethrower II coil) will all swap over to the magnum
12. finally I would like to upgrade the cam with a nice cam kit to give it a little more oomph. Something that will still give it a nice strong vacuum source for power brakes, etc...but still let it idle pretty smoothly as I drive the car a lot, a whole lot. I would like a nice middle ground between performance and still be very street friendly. What cam/spring/retainer kits do you recommend?

Is there anything that Im missing?

Im sorry the post is so long but I want to have everything taken care of and lined up before the swap starts, so that it can go smoothly with no surprises.

Thanks
roe

Last edited by roe; 01/26/12 10:29 PM.

1971 Plymouth Satellite
408/904 8 3/4 3.23 SG