Quote:

What's the history here?

The car is a 95 and has over 300K on it with the original head gasket, ASFAIK. I was surprised myself but our family is the second owner and had it for over 200K ourselves.

Last summer it started burning oil and wouldn't pass emissions.

I picked up a junkyard engine from a running car with unknown mileage but apparently well taken care of. I did find they replaced the timing belt but incorrectly installed the tensioner.

I replaced the timing belt, water pump, Intake gaskets and cleaned the intake & throttle body.

The engine passed emmissions testing with 12 HC (limit of 220) and zero CO's.

Then I noticed small amounts of water usage. Runs great and oil clean so I caught it early.

As good as it runs I would love to save the money and just slap a gasket on it, but if I can expect the head to be warped I will rework the old one before I start.

Sounds like I will just slap a gasket on it and check for warping wile I am in there.

I am not sure on the head bolts. Repair manual says reuse them. Parts store says replace them.
It's not the money, but I fear I will get some asian junk for bolts and wish I had kept the originals.... I am leaning towards replacing them though.

Thanks for the advice everyone.