Quote:

Now can someone tell me what to use to get it warm enough to apply the RPM Thanks

Hi everyone,

When we coated the driveshaft with RPM on Project Valiant we used a heat gun( I bought one at Harbour Freight for $9 on sale) and started at one end and slowly worked toward the other end. You can turn the driveshaft as you go to keep the shaft warm. Works good with two people but one person and saw horses works also. On a smooth surface you will probably notice some brush strokes but they can be handled at the end since you'll probably want to use a towel and a little heat to smooth out any brush strokes. Normally the shafts have a little sheen which can be achieved with a clean cloth towel once it cools.

At the end of the day you are not going to have a lot of build up of RPM on the part for protection. In fact if you really apply a lot then it changes the appearance and could appear cloudy. We have actually melted RPM and dipped parts. You have to use the heat gun and brush to remove excess or it could be too thick. Just ensure that you have your part completely covered for best protection. Since it goes on glossy this should help verify coverage. A final pass with the heat gun allows the RPM to flow out and most brush strokes disappear on their own.

I have used a similar technique on a late model K frame where I wanted to do both sides. Dave swapped the white Challenger over from the oil based product used in 2008 to RPM in an afternoon on the lift. It was dramatic how it changed the look of the car and got rid of that oily residue.

All great questions and a great idea on the PVC pipe to soak the whole shaft.